1 cup (120 g) whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ cup (60 ml) egg substitute or 1 large egg
2/3 cup (130 g) granulated sugar or other sweetener, to taste
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup (65 g) canned crushed pineapple, well drained
1½ cups (190 g) zucchini chunks
½ cup (60 g) chopped nuts
½ cup (75 g) raisins
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray an 8½-inch × 4 ½-inch (21.25-cm × 11.25-cm) loaf pan with cooking spray.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice in a medium-size mixing bowl.
3. Place egg, sugar, vanilla, pineapple, and zucchini into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
4. Select Variable 1.
5. Turn on machine and slowly increase speed to Variable 4.
6. Blend for 10-15 seconds. Stop machine and remove lid.
7. Add dry ingredients to the Vitamix container and secure lid.
8. Select Variable 5.
9. Blend for 20 seconds or until mixed, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades. Do not over mix.
10. Stop machine. Gently stir in nuts and raisins by hand.
11. Pour into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 60 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Reprinted with permission from the American Culinary Federation. Credit:Chef & Child Ingredient of the Month, March 2014