1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 large eggs
1 cup low-fat milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup toasted wheat germ
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups sliced bananas and strawberries (or other fruit)
1. Turn the oven on and set it to 450 degrees. Put the butter and oil in the skillet, and put the skillet in the oven while it heats.
2. Put the eggs in the large bowl and, using the whisk or fork, stir until the eggs are light and frothy. Add the milk, vanilla, flour, wheat germ, and salt. Stir until the batter is well blended.
3. When the oven is hot, use the pot holder to remove the skillet and quickly tilt it by the handle to swirl the butter and oil around to coat it.
4. Pour the batter into the hot skillet and return the skillet to the oven.
5. Bake until very puffy and golden-brown around the edge, around 20 to 25 minutes. Using pot holders, move the skillet to an ovenproof surface to cool for one minute–and watch the pancake start to deflate!
6. Top with fruit, cut into wedges, and serve right away.
Reprinted with permission from American Culinary Federation and Chef & Child Ingredient of the Month, November 2015